Sunday, November 27, 2011

Relaxed Sunday lunch at home

Had a very relaxing lunch at home yesterday.  The menu was:

Marinated BBQ Quail, Pan Fried Red Snapper on a bed of Runnerbean Stew, Roast Chat Potatoes with Olives and Capers, followed by Passionfruit Souffle with Passionfruit Icecream.

I cut the Quails in half, and marinated overnight in chopped Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Fresh chopped Oregano, Fresh chopped Italian Parsley, 1 sliced fresh Chilli, Lemon Juice and freshly cracked Sea Salt and Black Pepper.
We BBQ'd them, placed on a platter of Rocket, splashed with fresh Lemon Juice and drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Unfortunately I didn't get a photo, but they were moist, tender and delicious.

I made the Runnerbean Stew that morning.  Very simple really.  It's originally a recipe I saw of Jamie Oliver's and I have cooked it several times, sometimes with Chicken.  Basically Anchovy Fillets and their oil, Chilli, Garlic, Fresh Rosemary, Oregano and Flat Leaf Parsley, Beans that have been put through a 'beaner' (gives you lovely strips without the 'side seam'), a large jar of Passata (Tomato Puree) and Salt and Pepper.  Just simmer till the beans are tender, and squeeze over the juice of one lemon. 
I then prepared the potatoes.  I can't remember where I saw this recipe, but I thought it sounded lovely (basically what potato doesn't!) and would be perfect with the Fish and Runnerbean Stew.  I boiled the Chat Potatoes then crushed slightly with a fork, tossed them in a bowl with Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Capers, Pitted Black Olives, fresh Thyme and Rosemary and placed on a baking tray covered with baking paper.   Then poured some White Balsamic Vinegar and more Extra Virgin Olive Oil over them.   Don't know why it's taken me so long to use baking paper, but it was the perfect way to cook this as the ingredients don't stick to the pan and you end up with all the crispy bits (and its so easy to clean the tray!).
They took about 45 minutes in the oven after this stage, which means they are out of the way while you prepare the fish.

I always pre-chop everything so I can spend time with my guests, so I had prepared a bowl of Basil Leaves and the Gremolata (finely chopped Garlic with salt, Italian Parsley and finely grated Lemon Zest) (both ready to scatter over the finished fish dish).   I also pre chopped some extra Italian Parsley to scatter over the Potato Bake.
I then cut the seasoned Red Snapper Fillets in half
and pan fried them in a tiny bit of butter.  I poured the bean stew on a large serving platter, topped with the Snapper, then the fresh Herbs.  Same with the Potato Bake.   I have to confess the photo below is not my dish - I completely forgot to take one.  In the one below which I found on the internet, they have used Purple Basil which explains what I thought were the 'missing' olives!
Before our guests arrived I had also prepared all the ingredients for the Souffle.   This is the fiddliest part but makes it so easy to finish - separating the eggs, buttering the dishes, preparing the passionfruit, which are always expensive and a bit time consuming to strain, but I love the taste.
After about 15 minutes in the oven, they were perfect!
I dusted with Icing Sugar and served with Maggie Beer Passionfruit Icecream.  Really delicious, even if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment