Saturday, September 10, 2011

Whole Organic Chicken with Cajun Rub one night, Curry the next

I saw these whole Organic Chickens at the Ferry Road Markets.  They looked so lovely, plump and juicy against the prepared breast or thigh fillets en masse,  that I grabbed one.  I butterflied the chicken through the back bone, rubbed with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then rubbed in way too much of a Cajun Rub I had:
together with some freshly cracked Black Pepper, a chopped Chilli and some chopped Coriander.  I left this to marinade for a few hours.
 I then prepared some roast vegetables - I used Potato, Pumpkin, Zucchini and Carrot, with chopped organic Garlic, a handful of fresh Oregano, splashed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and seasoned with Salt and Pepper and a favourite seasoning of mine - Tridosha Salt and Pepper - Mediterano (they make several varieties but I like this one).


We then put the chicken bone side down onto the hot BBQ grill making sure to add all the marinade, and added the vegetables to the oven.
The chicken took about 45 minutes to gently cook, and the vegetables the same to end up crisp and browned.   We served with Garlic Aioli on the side. 
Very nice indeed, but way too much for two.  So the next night I made a curry with the leftover chicken.

I put chopped Coriander Root, grated fresh Ginger, chopped Organic Garlic, quartered Brown and Red Onion and tossed until the onions had sweated, then added some Chinese Rice Wine and let it almost evaporate.  I then added a tin of Massaman Curry Paste that I found in the pantry,
 together with a can of Coconut Milk, half a cup of water, sliced Bamboo Shoots, Garlic Stems, Celery, Carrot and Zucchini, and a large splash of Fish Sauce.   I added the leftover Chicken at the last minute together with some frozen Peas, put a lid on until heated through, and served sprinkled with chopped Coriander, Thai Basil leaves and some plain rice.
Really lovely.  Two meals from the same chicken!!!!  Even better - the chicken remained moist and tender even though it was virtually cooked twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment