Friday, August 12, 2011

Freshly caught fish - oven baked Asian style

We are still in FNQ and decided to go whale watching and fishing on a perfect day.  Even though there were heaps of whales the day before, they were hiding today, although we did see spouts in the distance.  But by the time we got there, they had disappeared.  So we hoped we'd have better luck fishing.  We caught two Giant Trevally - one bigger than the other - which we kissed and let go. 
Our skipper estimated this one to be 25 kilo!!!

We then caught dinner - a beautiful Nannygai.  
 It was too big to deep fry, so I decided to oven bake it with an Asian style sauce.  I had seen a recipe somewhere that covered the fish in sesame seeds, but unfortunately I couldn't get these at our local Mission Beach Supermarket.  So I settled on Poppyseeds hoping they wouldn't be too strong tasting.  I made cuts in the fish and sprinkled with Sesame Oil and Olive Oil, put sliced Spanish Onion in the cavity, and covered with Poppyseeds and freshly cracked Black Pepper.
Meanwhile I prepared the sauce.  One chopped garlic clove, finely shaved/sliced knob of fresh Ginger (wish I'd finely chopped it!), two hot Chillies, de-seeded and finely sliced, half a Spanish Onion finely sliced, Light Soy Sauce, a dash of White Wine Vinegar, a couple of tablespoons of water and a couple of teaspoons of Brown Sugar.   I was going to add finely sliced carrot and lime juice, but decided to leave it as it was.   I heated it through gently whilst the fish was cooking.   
 I also cooked my 'family favourite' chunky crispy Chips and roasted some Pumpkin.  I know - not really Asian vegies, but just what we felt like.  I sprinkled fresh Coriander and sliced Spring Onion over the cooked fish.  Unfortunately I forgot to photograph before we attacked it ........
But it was absolutely delicious, and the Poppyseeds lovely and crunchy and definitely not too strong tasting.






No comments:

Post a Comment