Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Cut Bar and Grill, The Rocks

The Cut also deserves a mention.  We've had dinner here twice since we moved (two weeks).    Again, it's just a walk from our apartment.  It's owned by John Szangolies who owns Sake, The Argyle and also the Bavarian Bier Cafe and Lowenbrau Keller.  The interior designers of  
The Cut (with a silent 'n') and also The Argyle and Sake are Luchetti Krelle - Stuart Krelle and Rachel Luchetti.  Love their work.
It's like a New York Bar, underground and dark with fabulous leather chairs and great lighting.  How they managed to get around the Heritage obligations beats me, but they have done an amazing job without damaging the historic elements.
The Executive Chef/Head Chef is James Privett (Bennelong, Bistro Moncur and Light Brigade).
Both times we've had one of their steaks - grilled over Beechwood & Charcoal then finished under a 650o broiler.  The first visit I had the Riverine 150 day, Grain fed New York Sirloin.  My son ordered the Sher F1 Wagyu 400 day, Grain Fed (marble score 7) Scotch Fillet and it was amazing and certainly beat my Riverine Sirloin.  So that's what I ordered on the second visit.  It was very good indeed.  On the first occasion I ordered Medium Rare to Rare, but it was more Medium to Medium Rare.  The second time I ordered Rare to Medium Rare and got Medium Rare.  I don't think they believe a lady, as the men's Medium Rare were rarer than mine!
That's not actually my steak above - completely forgot to take any pix!

The most amazing dish kept rolling by - 4 Hour Slow Roast Sher F1 Wagyu Standing Rib served from the Wagyu Beef Trolley.  I think I will have to try this.
Their side of Steamed Green Peas, Onion & Mint is to die for (I do love peas), as were their Shoestring Fries with Horseradish Aioli.  Their Mixed Leaf Salad with Herbs & Lemon Vinaigrette was also very good.

Make sure you visit the loos - love the door handles.
I have to mark them down because of the pushy girl at the door.  She sat four of us - in a near empty restaurant - by the bar and when we asked if we could move, said all the other tables were booked.  We asked our waiter, who managed to convince her to change her mind, which meant waiting at the bar for half a hour.  It was worth it.  Nothing worse than trying to have a conversation at your table with noisy people standing right beside you at the bar!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment